It’s the epilogue, so now it’s time for us to find out exactly what happened next, perfectly set out for us.
- Daniel has a broken nose, but does not talk to anyone about the sexual assault that may or may not have happened. He is a tuff manly man, who blocks and bottles up all his thoughts and emotions. So, he’s never going to emotionally heal and will probably end up with a nasty stress disorder. But at least he’s a MANLY MAN.
- Charlotte never goes into therapy either. She cries on Anita’s shoulder, which is possibly the worst solution.
- The whole Zeeman family thinks Anita and Richard should get married. Surprisingly, I agree with this. Well, maybe not the married part, but while I hate Richard and what he does, they are a better couple. Richard and Anita have similar interests, they have fun together, and they laugh. All JC and Anita do is have sex together. They have no common interests. They never have fun together. JC orders and forces her into doing things. Anita would be happier with Richard. Even though they raped each other. This is a weird situation.
- Howard the psychic is in prison for fraud, because Anita was going to kill him otherwise.
- The police think Thompson just ran away. Tee hee hee.
- The Vampire Council are not punishing Anita for breaking the rules, and that whole Colin subplot was entirely pointless. He’s also dead.
- Anita has sworn off sex because sex is sending her powers haywire. Or something. I don’t care.
- Anita has been spending all her time with Marianne or on animating jobs away from St. Louis to avoid having sex with Richard or JC.
- Apparently, they are such arseholes that a simple ‘no’ means nothing to them. And it is impossible for her to avoid the temptation of sex.
- Honey, it is not hard.
- You just don’t have sex.
- Anita then whines about how she has to learn about her magic powers and how to control them.
- i don’t think i could be any less sympathetic.
- WAAAA WAAAAA I HAVE TO LEARN THINGS
- grow up.
- ‘I’ve always learned the minimum to get by’
- I hate lazy people who refuse to educate themselves about something vitally important like their powers over death
- anyway Anita’s learning who she is and some self-affirming bullshit
- ‘I face a demon with my faith and prayer. Does that mean God has forgiven my sins? I don’t know. If He has forgiven me, He’s more generous than I am’.
- Let’s take a closer look at that, shall we?
Thou shalt have no other gods
Hmmm, Anita is still calling herself a Christian, and I wouldn’t say she has any other gods. Does her constant worship of JC count?
No graven images or likenesses
Definitely not. Anita doesn’t even have hobbies. She has no artwork or images, not unless her penguin hoard counts.
Not take the Lord’s name in vain
I think we’re all a little bit guilty of this one.
Remember the sabbath day
Anita… doesn’t do anything. Outside of events in a book, she has no life. She has no hobbies. She has no interests. She doesn’t really have any friends. That’s… kinda sad.
Honour thy father and thy mother
Lol, nope. Her mother is some kind of saint, but she despises her stepmother and has no opinions on her father. I think that she must hate him, because she never gives him a secondary thought. Despite the fact that he looked after her, loved her, and financially supported her throughout university. Sorry that your daughter grew into such a bitch, Mr Blake.
Thou shalt not kill
I don’t think she could fail this one any more.
Thou shalt not commit adultery
Well, if we take it as being in canon, then she has broken this one pretty badly too. Although I consider them to be rapes. And an act of rape on another person, which is a kind of evil not covered by the ten commandments.
Thou shalt not steal
Um, I don’t think she’s stolen anything. At least, not that I can remember. OTHER THAN MY JOY.
Thou shalt not bear false witness
Anita is a pathological liar.
Thou shalt not covet
Testify to that.
Okay, Anita Blake fails six of the ten commandments. I don’t think God is going to be so forgiving. Of course, I’m thinking of a hardcore Old Testament God, who is liberal with the sulphur and hellfire. And enjoys to smite.
Right, so what did I think of Blue Moon?
Mainly that it’s a complete mess. It’s a mixture of sexual thriller, political conspiracy, and treasure hunting. There are some truly horrific bits, but not in the way LKH intended. This book’s foundations, which are very shaky, are rooted in victim blaming and a belief in moral absolutes. Those are not good things. This is not a good book. I really don’t know what else I can say. It’s poorly written trash. No good can come from reading this book. I hate this book.