Anita’s been allowed to go home, in her borrowed jogging bottoms, even though she has a touch of hypothermia.
The paramedics had only let me go because I promised to drink hot fluids and take a hot bath.
That is the last thing you should do if you are at risk of hypothermia. Bringing up the internal body temperature of someone affected so drastically can kill them. So they were shitty shitty paramedics.
She thinks a little about ‘huh, nagas’ and then realises that she still doesn’t have the key for her own home. Guess you’re fucked then, because you have to talk to Richard and then BABIES will come up.
Richard opens the door and naturally, Anita jumps on him. Well, he had the button of his jeans undone. What’s a girl with two serious medical conditions in as many days to do, other than to start making out with their significant other.
Unfortunately, JC is there. He walked into Anita’s apartment when Richard was asleep and refused to leave. All together now! What a guy.
Jean-Claude sat on my couch. The black shirt was spread around his naked torso. His arms were straight out along the back of the couch, raising the shirt, revealing nipples that were only two shades darker than his white skin.
GOD’S SAKE MAN PUT A JUMPER ON. NOBODY WANTS TO SEE YOUR NIPPLES. I WILL KNIT YOU A FUCKING JUMPER IF YOU WANT.
JC sniggers and talks about how he’s her new master and I want to pound him in the face with an oar. He’s come to see Anita and Richard because… hang on, we have Anita prattle to get through.
If I drank enough coffee and took a really hot bath, maybe I’d thaw out. My preference would have been a hot shower, quicker at four o’clock in the morning. But I’d promised the paramedics. Something about my core temperature.
They’re trying to kill you. This… this is all so wrong.
Anyway, I’m bored of JC and how no one is hitting him in the face with an oar, so I’m going to bullet point the next few pages.
- JC laughs about how ‘Monsieur Zeeman’ is meant to be staying the night. He knows because he made Stephen tell him.
- Richard says Sexist Stephen is under his protection.
- Ah, but Stephen was given to JC, just as Richard was given by Marcus in the last book.
- Richard says he belongs to no one. Hooray! Backbone!
- JC goes all snide and suggests that Richard does not recognise Marcus as leader. That means Richard would have to fight Marcus for challenging authority. Or something.
- Anita says she won’t date JC if he continues trying to get Richard killed.
- Richard then says that Marcus doesn’t know that the snuff film from earlier had two endings.
- JC knows about all the films because Raina, the evil bitch, offered him a starring role.
- Anita is surprised about this, although she knows that JC is heavily involved with the films and was implied to have either starred in or was going to star in one in chapter twenty six.
- Richard asks whether JC enjoyed it and this infuriates JC for some unknown reason. He counters back that Raina brags about Richard.
- Aaaaaaannndddd then it gets awful.
- Richard was forced to have sex with Raina when he was nineteen.
- DANGER DANGER
- Rape is unacceptable, no matter which gender, and here it’s being used as a cheap dramatic ploy to make Raina eeeeeevvvvillll.
- I do not like this.
- JC and Richard lunge at each other (because grrrr you got raped?) and Anita jumps in between them.
- Then magic happens.
The three powers melded into one skin-curling, heart pumping, stomach-clenching rush.
- So, werewolf + vampire + ‘necromancer’ powers = orgasm.
- Anita faints and the guys rush to her.
- JC giggles and says GUISE IT WASN’T ME IT MUST HAVE BEEN HER *snigger* And if Richard used it, he could be an amazing master wolf.
- I hate him.
“You admit he is not human, and now he wants power, so he can be leader of the pack.” His smile widened just this short of a laugh.
“I didn’t know you were a fan of sixties music,” I said.
- Christ Anita, just saying ‘leader of the pack’ doesn’t mean he’s referring to the song. It is a phrase that people use.
- I will end you some day.