Iris Jensen’s grave marker was smooth, white marble. It was a nearly life-size angel, wings outspread, arms open, welcoming. You could still read the lettering by flashlight [I should bloody well hope so, the gravestone is only twenty years old] : “Beloved daughter. Sadly missed.” The same man who had had the angel carved, who sadly missed her, had been molesting her. She had killed herself to escape him, and he had brought her back. That was why I was out here in the dark, waiting for the Jensens, not him, but her. Even though I knew her mind was gone by now, I wanted Iris Jensen in the ground and at peace.
This reads like the conclusion to an entirely different novel. An interesting novel, but definitely not the one I started. Anyway, I’ve been doing dissertation reading all day and I’m pretty tired, so I’m going to do one of Dottie’s patented bulletpoint lists for y’all today!
righto let’s begin
- edward doesn’t like this. not one bit. I don’t care.
- edward doesn’t know that cemeteries have maintenance sheds
- a ghoul runs up
- ‘Ghouls are cowards; they don’t attack healthy human beings’
- Did you do any research for this book?
- zacahary shows up
- HE’S THE MURDERER
- that kinda makes sense – he destroyed the mind of the witness to save himself
- a half-way competent investigator MIGHT HAVE ALREADY THOUGHT THAT
- anyway if you bury an animator you get ghouls (No. Just no) and blah blah blah raising zombies makes ghouls rise or some bullshit like that
- bullets won’t kill zachary
- anita distracts the ghouls with chickens she had to put the jensen girl to rest
- more bullshit about how ghouls are soooooo dumb
- I could point out that creatures created by white westerners are intelligent, but the creatures of eastern islamic mythology are reduced to the status of animals, when traditionally the stereotypes were reversed i.e. vampires were fat, flesh-eating and dumb, and ghouls were cultured and intelligent
- YES I JUST PULLED OUT THE RACE CARD
- what you going to do about it?
- anita sets the shed on fire with edward and herself in it, but they escape
- ‘This was the second attempt on my life in as many days. Frankly, I’d rather be shot at’
- What happened to the Jensen girl?
- OMG ACTUAL PLOT
- i don’t think i can’t actually deal with it